(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, March 27, 2016

board#100: asymmetric shortboard for Vincent



Dimensions:  5'4 x 18 5/8 x 2
[completed in August 2015]
model Versatile-A

The story: to me it was a big deal to be shaping my 100th board. It was definitely a milestone for Mere-Made surfboards. I had to shape a board that would stay with me. It also had to be very special and a challenge to myself to make the point that I improved my shaping skills since board#001. It made so much sense to be shaping my first asymmetric board (on purpose J).

The shape: it was a total team work with my team rider, Vincent Duprat. Because we are both scientifics, the approach was very scientific too: in order to see if the asymmetry is beneficial, we had to compare it to the same symmetric board. We spec the dimensions to match Vincent actual board (versatile model, board#085) but adding a slight asymmetry to the bottom half of the board only. The asymmetry was designed for a goofy foot rider with more rail length on the toe side. But then more volume on the heel side. Concaves and fin placement are also asymmetrical accordingly. Shaping-wise it was like shaping two boards at once. I had a drawing of the volume repartition on the wall with the bottom view and deck view in order to not be confused every time I flip the board. It was a very interesting experience to design and shape that board. To add to the excitement, our friend Mark was there to document this special day. He filmed and edited the footage to a very nice piece of work, news-story-style. Thanks Mark!


The artwork: I am so proud of the idea I came up with!!!! I paint the stripes slightly off on my side to illustrate the asymmetry. Those artworks are my favorite: cheap, fast, easy but delivering a message.

Testimonial: Vincent rides this board everyday since he got it (last year).






Mere-Made Surfboards from Mark Sackett on Vimeo.









No comments:

Post a Comment