(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Monday, June 17, 2013

board#021: funboard for Carolyn


shorebird on surfboard



Dimensions: 7’6 x 22 1/2 x 3
[Completed on May 2013]
model Vida

The shape: When my friend and surf fellow Carolyn asked me a custom board she knew exactly what she wanted: a replicate of her actual board which was starting to show signs of aging after a decade of regular use. It was an Hawaiian shape which worked very well for her. I copied the template and decided to remove a bit of volume of the rails as I knew, by surfing with Carolyn sometimes, that she no longer needed that extra foam. Except for that, I tried to make that board as similar as her beloved board. Funboards are actually a lot of fun to shape: not as tiring as working on a full length longboard and not as technical as a performance shortboard.

The artwork: The artwork actually took me more time that the shape itself! Carolyn came to discuss what she would like: “something that would represent her” was of course the priority. She is a marine biologist with a special passion for shorebirds. She brought me some of her books and we search the web together. She decided for a particular shore bird, -sorry I don't remember the actual name of it-, her favorite. While browsing through some of my previous boards, she really likes Michelle’s Mo (the seahorse funboard) so I adapted the shorebird to that design. The neutral color were my pick to match the sand/ocean theme. I also suggested a polish finish as it keeps the colors sharper. Here is my first surfboard for ornithologist! I am sure Carolyn will fly on this :)

Carolyn with her daughter Oceana and her new "baby"





Did I mention that Carolyn is also a professional flamenco dancer?


Carolyn visiting my shaping room with her adorable kids
first wave!

happy surfer!

Sweet welcoming from Carolyn's son



6 comments:

  1. that looks amazing Valerie!!! beautiful work. looks like a high performance funboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh I like that board!! The colors the designs and it did remind me of my beloved Mo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping a line, KK and Michelle! Support from my dear friends is what make me moving forward...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superbe board. Je suis impressionnée comme à chacun de tes posts :----)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merci Nat! A bientot sur ton blog :) Vivement que le pain de mousse arrive!!!!

    ReplyDelete