(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, March 20, 2016

board#099: shortboard for Dimitri

Dimitri and board#099

Dimensions: 6'2 x 20 1/2 x 2 1/2
[completed in June 2015]
Model Vader

The story: Dimitri is a very good old friend who is 99% of the time on a SUP. He is really good at it and he enjoys his SUP so much that I was very honored when he asked me to make his new surfboard. Although it is a lot of pressure on my shoulders as this board has to be so good that he wants to go back to shortboard surfing... :)

The shape: We discussed quite a while but the best conversations are in the water trying out boards. That is what we did: we headed out to our local line-up and he tried one of my board we thought would be a good fit for him. He liked it very much and we started from that outline with customized dimensions. I was thrilled to shape a board that I rode so much.

The artwork: Dimitri had something in mind. It was a 80's inspired artwork from a Quicksilver sweeter that he loved so much back then that he still has it!!! I printed out the original artwork as I can't be as good as the original artist.. However there was still a lot to do: the deck would has a very colorful and complicate pattern. I could have printed that out too but I thought it would be more special if it was hand-painted. BUT, because of the enormous amount of work, I invited Dimitri to participate. One evening, he came to the house with a bag full of colors and brushes. We spent the night (until midnight!!) painting his board together. It was so much fun as we could catch up with our lives while painting. It was like a private PainteNite ! :)

The glass was done by Global Glassing, Oceanside.

The testimonial: first time in the water was with me! although it was a very small summer day, I witnessed Dimitri dropping in some waves. Best feeling!


hand painted by owner (cheap labor ;)))

midnight: DONE

print by Boardlams







No comments:

Post a Comment