(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, April 9, 2016

board#101: shortboard for Matthieu




Dimensions: 6'7 x 21 x 2 1/2
[completed in September 2015]
Model Vader

The story: Matthieu attended The Boardroom event where I shaped live. It seems that, in that glass shaping bay, I was good enough to convince him I should be shaping his next custom board. And here I was, a couple of months later, working on his own board in my real shaping room.

The shape: Matthieu needed a board to transition from longboard riding to something more "shortboardy" to accommodate for some hollow days at Scripps Pier (la Jolla) where he surfs.  I played with my templates to get the volumes where he wanted.

The artwork:  as a reminder of his birth country and his love of the Ocean, Matthieu had me paint the Maritime flag of Luxembourg. The stripes where spray painted while the lion was printed by Boardlams.









"peeling waves"






No comments:

Post a Comment