(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Friday, May 8, 2015

board#069: shortboard for Sam





Dimensions: 5'7 x 18 7/8 x 2 1/4
[completed in October 2014]
Model V-epic

The story: A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I met a french guy named Samuel, on the beach, at D-Street, Encinitas because he recognized my logo from this blog !!! We became friends and I shaped him his first Mere-Made in August 2012. It was time for a second one.

The shape: I sat with Sam and discussed what he wanted and "performance" & "shortboard" were the key-words. We browsed my blog with those key-words (yes, there is a search function on the top left corner! very convenient! try it!) and he decided for the V-epic model which I created for my Team rider Nicole. The bonus was that he got to be with me in the shaping room while I was shaping his board so he could  decide on the spot where to remove volume, round some nose/tail,  and work for me as my sanding assistant ;) We did the shape in 2x two hour sessions that day with a surf session in between and a dinner afterwards! You can't beat Mere-Made customer service ;)

The artwork: The choice of color was very singular. Like I said, we were having dinner after the shape when I asked Sam what kind of color he would like. He pointed at the kitchen wall… I said I still had some left over from the interior paint and he laughed. But I was not. I used the Home Depot paint to spray paint his board with the exact color he was pointing at. Sam also requested to paint the white parts with white paint as it is supposed to prevent the resin to get too deep in the foam (less weight) and it also prevent the foam to turn yellow in the sun. As a final touch, Sam asked for a deck carbon patch, beautifully glassed in by the Global Glassing crew.

The testimonial: Sam left for a 5-month surf trip and took his new Mere-Made...




Pro surfer Teiki Baillan approved the board!
Sam is supervising the shaping

Sam helped too with the sanding part


New Zealand 2015 

1 comment:

  1. Tkx V! nice to read your post! Still in NZ and still having a blast on my mere made! Cheers, Sam

    ReplyDelete