(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Friday, October 19, 2012

Board #015: shortboard for Sam

Dimensions: 5'7 x 19 1/8 x 2 1/4
[Completed in august 2012]

To make a short story even shorter, this short board is very .... short.

I met Sam, new owner of board#014, on the beach at a the Switchfoot annual Bro-Am last June. If you read my Eat, Surf, Love blog, I posted about that very crazy story of meeting with a french surfer who knew about my shaping activity from an interview on the "french Surfline"... Well, he and his wife Taina are now very good friends. Because he is a hard-core/passionate/crazy surfer, he asked me to shape him a custom board: a tiny short board, keeping some volume towards the chest, with a very flat rocker to compensate for the overall shortness of the board. With the round pin tail he asked for a 5-fin FCS box set so he can ride it as a thruster but mostly in a quad setting (his preference). The beast was designed for serious action in the steep 6 foot waves raging during the winter season at his favorite surf break: Blacks. Black are also the rails as firmly requested by the owner. I was a bit reluctant about going for such a simplistic design at first. I usually like to bring colorful contrasts but I have to admit that the black rails are very classy and they emphasize the Mere-Made logo.


This board has teeth...
shorter than a flower


Sam discovering his new toy


Sam testimonial (in french sorry):
"anyway, ce matin, j'ai pu surfer ta planche dans des vagues plus sympa qu'hier!! et bien content! surprise backside, malgré le quad la board tourne in the pocket!! bien rapide, bonne glisse! frontside j'aurais aimé avoir plus de vagues.. et plus longues pour avoir plus de turns. sur un cutback j'ai eu un bon feeling, tourné là encore bien court.

seul flip, faire des face plant un jour de gros!! car le rocket et vraiment tendu!!!! pense que je la surferai le matin only.. quand c'est glassy sans clapot!
 mais so far.. great feeling!"

Thank you Sam, I am very proud that a Mère-Made Surfboard is now a Blacks local :)

11/27/12 update: pictures talk more than words. See Sam shredding on his Mère-Made board at Blacks last Thanksgiving day. 
Sam on board#015 at Blacks (Photo: courtesy of Samuel Bertin)

(Photo: courtesy of Samuel Bertin)

No comments:

Post a Comment