(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

board#068: mini-gun for Vincent


Dimensions: 6'2 x 18 x 2 1/8
[completed in October 2014]
Model Vavit

The story: In 2010 I was shaping a mini-gun for Vincent which displayed all the authentic signatures of the Switchfoot band members (click here to see board#010). It was a real collector as the band got to see it at the Switchfoot Bro-Am and I got interviewed on the spot by John Foreman himself !!! But most of all, it was a very nice shape. So nice that Vincent took it to his Fiji surf trip but it never returned home. The board broke and, of course, the part with the autographs got lost at sea…
In 2014 and 58 boards later, I shaped Vincent another one.

The shape: I got to use a Clark foam blank I  found at Mitch's in Solana Beach. Same shape except I was 58 board more experienced when I shaped this one. It probably took me 1/4 of the time I spent on the first one.

The artwork: Vincent's keywords for his board were: "color + fast vibe" which I translated into a "Ferrari red + race car stripes". The logos are matching the white stripes. The ultralight glass was done at Global Glassing.

The testimonial: Vincent picked that board for our trip on the North Shore. And he surfed it there. That means a lot. Also I got a very special guest giving his opinion on this board: master shaper Eric Arakawa himself looked at it and give me some very positive feed-back, with a bit of criticism too to make me improve (see when I met Eric here)!
Yep, that board, like her previous version, is very special again.

removing tape after spray painting is sooooo cool






About to be judged by one of the best (if not the best) shapers in the world!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Love it! We all know red goes faster!
    B x

    ReplyDelete