(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

board#062: shortboard for Vincent

flags belong to the skies

Dimensions: 5'6 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/16
[Completed in August 2014]
V-epic model

The story: I can just copy and paste the same story over and over: "Vincent, my husband is a surf maniac. For instance, in 2014 he surfed more than 365 times…  Therefore he uses a lot of boards. A lot. And he always wants new models I create for other customers." 

This board is a bit special though. This one was a group order from some of our friends who wanted to give Vincent a surfboard for his 40th birthday. He knew I was shaping him a new surfboard as he always wants to closely supervise the shape/dimensions. However I plotted with our friends so that they would all sign a piece of rice paper I could apply on the board under the glass. That autographed rice paper is what they gave him on his birthday as a surprise. And he was surprised!

The shape: Vincent requested the V-epic model created for Nicole (see her first V-epic here, and her second V-epic here). All the dimensions were tightly adjusted for him. With a  1/16 of inch precision. If you know Vincent,  you know I am not kidding...

The artwork: because Vincent has Basque origins, his 40th birthday party theme was a reenactment of the "Fetes de Bayonne", a traditional party time in July in Bayonne. For this reason, the artwork I picked for his birthday gift was simply the Basque Country flag. The simplistic design was ideal to host the multiple signatures from the gift donors.













No comments:

Post a Comment