(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, February 16, 2014

board#034: shortboard for Nicole

Isn't it the best testimonial ???? 

Dimensions: 5'7 x 18'' x 2'' 1/16
[completed in December 2013]

The story: Nicole is a 13 year old talented surfer who was in search of her next short board. Her Dad heard about my hobby and she was thrilled to have her board shaped by a girl… and likewise I was thrilled to shape a board for a girl. 

The shape: Nicole brought her current board and she told me what she liked and what she did not like about it.  From this discussion, I tried to make her new board by keeping all the positives and changed the negative points. I basically went for a less narrow nose for more flotation combined with narrower tail for better transitions. I was so excited to work on my first performance short board for a teenager girl !!!! The challenge came also from the very short timelines: I got a text from Nicole's dad showing her current board she just snapped in two pieces in Hawaii (yes, she is charging!). It was Shaping 911!! I got a little help for Nicole herself when she joined me in the shaping room to help finishing the fine sanding. She did a great job even though it is a bit intimidating to work on a board at that stage: the board is so fragile and vulnerable. Fearless like on the waves, she got the job done! Next generation of female shaper on the way :)

The artwork: All credits go to Nicole! She had her mind set on a very modern artwork and she made sure I accomplished it: she sent me sketches and came to my house with the colors she picked at Michaels. Love that determination in her!

Testimonial: the best testimonial is that Nicole picked this board for her latest trip to Kauai and sent some awesome shorts of her shredding on her Mere-Made! She also sent me that text: "Hi Valerie this is Nicole I wanted to let you know that the board works really well (insane) it's so fun the board paddles really well an then I stand up and ride the waves and do turns I don't dig my rail it is the perfect size too its better than any of the other surfboards I've had thank u so much." Thanks Nicole for trusting Mere-Made Surfboards! I am as stoked as you!








Nicole with her Dad
(and her Xmas gift from him)
Nicole's sktech
(I so love the little mermaid in the V!)

Nicole sanding her board

She even picked and cut out her own Mere-Made logo






No comments:

Post a Comment