(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Interview in Ocean Magazine

grab your issue!
If you live anywhere on the Californian coast in between San Clemente and San Diego you probably read The Ocean Magazine. Not only I have been reading it since I moved to Encinitas but I also collected some issues, either because I loved the artwork on the cover (some covers are framed in my house!) or because I really enjoyed the featured stories. I consider this free journal as a local surfing encyclopedia. The topics range from the surfing icons or the new prodigy on the rise, legendary shapers and historical shops, collector surfboards, local artists, musicians, photographers and even living mermaids!!! The stories are diverse but all related the love of the Ocean.

with Robert Wald
Robert Wald, writer/editor/publisher, is a local legend himself and his famous photographs are part of an exhibit  at the Encinitas library. I got to know him when I won a photography contest: I had some of my tandem surfing pictures published in his magazine. He contacted me recently for an article about tandem surfing and  he decided to write an article about my shaping obsession instead !!! And here I am, page 25-26 of the August/September 2012 issue! I try to keep it low but, hey, it is a BIG DEAL to be acknowledged as a local character!!!! (Just enjoying a bit of fame here :))

Please visit the online edition for the full article: click here. But also available in hard copy at my house and in most of the public places in San Diego county costal area.

Robert, thank you so much for giving the opportunity to share my shaping passion with the readers of Ocean Magazine. Thank you also for the kind introductory words in your article.


Unless you have superhero eyesight,
 please access the real article at
www.theoceanmag.com







8 comments:

  1. congratulations on the article surf mama!!! very very nice!!!! i definitely want to shape a board for myself one day. maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but some day soon!! beautiful pictures too!!

    and indeed, we are just little ants playing in the immensity of Mother Ocean.

    so stoked you're getting some recognition!! yaaaaay~ :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the loyal support KK!
      Thanks also for planning on having a Mere-Made surfboard someday :) No rush. The more you wait, the better I am getting at shaping :) :) :)

      Delete
  2. Bravo bravo pour ce succès bien mérité !!!
    Nat

    ReplyDelete
  3. merci Nat! Comme je dis dans l'article, y'a plein de femme shapeuses et il me tarde que tu joignes le groupe officiellement (a quand ta premiere planche?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Je surf à la Torche jusqu'à fin août... Pour mon premier shape, j attends l autorisation de ma mairie pour construire ma cabane, puis il faudra la monter et hop je demarrerai, mais d après moi pas avant octobre....
    Nat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want an autographed copy missy!! I will give you an autograph copy of the WSSM magazine story of me if I get one of you!!!!! Oh oh oh oh oh !! Idea!! Let me call Samdra at WSSM and we should do an article on you!! Omg im gonna have Mere Made surfboards an international household name!! Just remember me when you are a famous shaper please!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MM surfboards in WSSM would be fantastic too! I start to feel bad not paying you as an official MM ambassador :)
    I send you a copy of Ocean Magazine by mail as an exchange with your WSSM copy!!!!! YEAHHHHH super excited because I could not find it at my local Barne and Nobles :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got a nice big envelope on the mail!!! Thanks :-)
    I will now have to get another WSSM and sign it and send it your way :-).... I only hav 1 copy now... My 23 year old took my other one. Only thing is I know the new edition of WSSM is going to hit newsstand and Hollister any day .. So I gotta go and find one I know they are few and far between! But I just saw 2 in Costa Mesa and some in the Brea Mall....:-(

    ReplyDelete