(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Thursday, January 22, 2015

board#063: shortboard for Ian

sunrise color board in the sunset


Dimensions: 6'2 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4
[Completed in August 2014]
Model Vixen

The story: just one month after Ian got his first Mere-Made (board#042), his house was broken into and the robbers took the board along with a couple of Bing. Although it is the first stolen board in Mere-Made history, I wished there was no such "first"… But Ian is not the kind of guy to let the fate dictates his life. Quickly he put another order to replace board #042. 
One day he called me to go surf and said: " I have a surprise for you in my car…."  Because he just came back from a surf trip in Costa Rica I thought he brought me back a little something… Until I realized he was handing me the original board I was supposed to copy the first time around… When he saw my disappointed face he realized the confusion and we both had a good laugh about that. Yes, I guess, for a shaper it is a gift to have the board you are supposed to reproduce :) !!!

The shape: same shape as board #042. I used the same template. But this time I had the original board from Bill Johnson in hand for the volume distribution/rocker. The additional special instructions from Ian was to make it a tiny bit wider but loosing some foam under the front foot.

The artwork: Ian submitted his idea of a reverse rail overlap on the bottom with a baby blue-to-white fade through a very fancy sketch he sent me online. I added a little grey fading on the tip of the tail which gave the cool sunrise color effect. The glassing was done at Global Glassing Oceanside (as usual).






Concave: checked!


Mere-Made on top of the original





Ian's vision of the artwork. pretty cool sketch!

tens of birds above our head during the sunset photoshoot

No comments:

Post a Comment