(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, July 3, 2016

board#110: shortboard for me (Laurent Chantegros photoshoot)

Loviiiiiiing my board so much !
(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
Scroll down for more pictures...

Dimensions: 6'1 x 20 1/2 2 1/2
[completed in September 2015]
Model Vader

The story: I basically have three boards in my quiver: 

- a 8'0 McTavish for conditions above 6 foot
- a 7'2 mini-malibu for weak conditions
- 6'3 shortboard for anything else (meaning good, pushy 2-6 feet). This shortboard was dear to my heart as it was a collaboration with the SWOP team when David and Fredo Charbonnel came to California (see previous post here). However I was ready to move on to a shorter version my my own modifications.


The shape: I took the same template (outline) but shorten the length to a 6'1. Instead of round rails I went for tucked rails with a flat deck. This is intended to make the board more responsive without losing too much paddling ability.  I called this model Vader in reference to my Dark Side :)

The artwork: I can't help it. When it comes to my own artwork I can't help the VS stripes!!!!! Those ones are inspired by the 2014 Christmas bag (for VS fan like me, they know the bags are different for the Christmas season: the pinks are darker). In the same line, I also added some angel wings. This is my nickname at the gym because I wear a lot of VS stuff !!! 

The glass was done by Global Glassing in Oceanside (CA).

The testimonial: this board became my go-to board. This is what I ride 80% of the time. I love it.

The story of the photos:  I met Laurent (Chantegros) when I was shaping live at the Boardroom (see here). Since we collaborated in many different photos projects. This one was about my new personal board in order to have promotional shots with a finished board (not only shaping room shots). I asked him for a special shot he was famous for: a levitating surfboard. He suggested Blacks' beach scene to do that because of the clean background which would allow the magic to happen in Photoshop. We then figured it would be the occasion to get some more photos on the beach. I am so lucky to be working with Laurent. His photos are always very thoughtful and soulful without mentioning his very artistic  skills. Please visit his website for more of his amazing work:

http://surfimagery.format.com


The Magic Shot !
(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
behind the scene :)

(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)


(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)

(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)

(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)

(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)

(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)

(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)

(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)

(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)


(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)












No comments:

Post a Comment