(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, February 14, 2016

board#095: shortboard shaped LIVE at the 2015 Boardroom.

Done with board#095. Can you see my eyes smile?

Dimensions: 5'10 x 19 x 2 3/8
[completed in May 2015]
model Vedette

The story: I woke-up from a very agitated night on May 20th 2015. I hadn’t slept well for the last two weeks actually. Something big was coming up… today. I took a quick shower, dressed up in my fitness clothes and had a healthy breakfast. I was preparing like an athlete for a challenge of a lifetime: shaping in front of a live and expert audience at the 2015 Boardroom in Del Mar (see how that happened on my last post). It was part of an exhibition about female shaper. No competition at all but still, I needed to prove myself in that 2 hours window.  Plus Scott Bass had made a public post that I would give away the shaped blank. I had to get it done. I packed all my tools in my very pink suitcase J and I drove to the event by myself.  At the entrance, I got a pass that said my name on it and “shaper”. This was not making feel more relaxed. Pressure was surely building as I was making my way toward the glass shaping bay. Whitney Wang was finishing her shape and I almost thought “I wish I was done too…” but I retracted this thought as I was approached by friends, coming for support. One last thing I needed to do before going in: pee.

The shape: I was set for a Vedette model shortboard which I shaped many times. The USBlanks blank was waiting for me, with my name on it! What a treat !!! But that detail again brought more pressure on my shoulder. USBlank too was watching.  I had 10 min to set-up my tools in the shaping bay: I placed them exactly where they are located in my own shaping room. I even brought my lucky Gargouille to scare the bad spirits. I was ready. The time keeper gave me the sign it was time to start. Vincent, my husband arrived right on time to get set-up with a microphone to comment the shape. I declined this because I wanted no contact with the audience. Not even eye contact and that is why I put my hat on and blasted the music super loud. Concentration was key for me to succeed.

Go.

Like a robot I grabbed the tape measurer and started to draw the ouline. The first saw move was a bit shaky. Then  I remembered Matt Calvani’s tip earlier that week: “showing confidence (even if you are scared) to the audience will make you feel confident inside”. I followed his wise advice. After 10 min I got more in control with my emotions, “I can do it and I will”. The rest of the shape went like in a dream. It felt actually so good that I was able to look at the audience and make eye contact with the audience which seems to have fun listening to my husband’s jokes on the mic J

1h 48 min. That is what I saw when I looked that the time after I was done.... Done!!!! I made it and the board was exactly how it was supposed to be.  Next thing I know I was outside the shaping bay, people were clapping and the crowd got closer to the entrance as the speaker was announcing that I was giving the board away. I was not prepared for the number of candidates… it was an overwhelming feeling. So half conscient I said : “ I will give it to the youngest candidate”. There was too kids and we had to flip a coin. Of course, “dad” was super excited to get that board for his son J He took the board to Huntington Beach to have it glassed there. Sadly, I haven’t heard from him. I wish I could track where that collector board is…

The rest of the morning was unreal: I was shaking hands and giving high 5 like a rock star. But what made me proud is the look of my kids’ eyes while watching me shape for the first time. The best feeling is to make the people that you love proud.

Pictures by Laurent Chantegros, Matthieu Bauer, Jerry Jaramillo, Vincent Duprat, Laurent Martin.





my favorite picture






















1h48min







No comments:

Post a Comment