(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, June 4, 2016

boards#106 and #107: longboards for Matthieu

Dimensions: 
noserider #106: 9'0 x 22 1/2 x 3 1/8
longboard#107: 9'0 x 22 x 2 /8
[completed in August 2015]

The story: the first time I heard about Matthieu is by seeing the longboard I made for Rico Leroy (see board#059) in two pieces on a FB post Rico was tagged in... Matthieu had broken the board he was borrowing from Rico. I was not happy about the loss of that performance longboard but I was stoked that Matthieu seemed to had so much fun on it (before he broke it).... Few month later when I announced my shaping trip to France, I got an order from Matthieu who not only wanted a replica of the broken board but also a Californian noserider.  That totally made up for the grief of board#059 ;)

The shapes: from the nice chat I had with Matthieu when we met in Anglet, I knew he was an excellent and powerful longboarder. He was also getting ready to compete on the boards I would shape. I also knew what he likes (because of the Mere-Made board he was riding before he broke it). We adjusted so dimensions more tailored for him and I just had to use the same template as for board#059. For the noserider, the specification were thicker, wider, with a nice spoon.  Shaping two different longboards for the same rider was a really good exercise for me. It totally emphasized the shape feature differences  which will translate into a different behavior under Matthieu's feet.

The artworks: "contrasting colors all over" was picked by Matthieu which were totally in alignment with my own tastes ;)

 The glass was done by Lacanau Surf Designs."Yay" to Nico who did an excellent job!

The testimonial: pictures are better than words. See Matthieu ripping at his local spot below. Also he will be having a new board shaped during my upcoming trip to France in July 2016 !!!


fresh paint on fresh shape



more painted foam on the noserider


Matthieu in action !!!








No comments:

Post a Comment