(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, June 12, 2016

board#108: shortboard for Mark

like the Phoenix, Mere-Made surfboards regenerate

dimensions: 6'0 x 19 1/2 x 2 1/2
[completed in August 2015]
Model Valolo

The story: Mark is more than a returning customer. He has more Mere-Made surfboards in his quiver than anybody else (except my husband). One day, his latest shortboard (a collector shaped with Axel Lorentz, see the story here) snapped in two pieces. I immediately fixed his Mere-Made quiver with another one!

The shape: the board I had to replicate had been shaped with the help of Axel Lorentz. It was a very technical shape because of an special edge on the bottom rail and the double wings. It was the opportunity for me to see if I had assimilated his valuable teaching.. and I could shape that board on my own.  used the same template, the same tools and it ended up  pretty much the same. Except it was a bit thiner than the original. So I did it again and I got it right, I think :)

The artwork:  in order to remember the late board, we went for the same artwork but different colors and a  matching lighting bolt  per Mark special request. 


measuring for replicating (Photo: Laurent Chantegros)

Photo: Laurent Chantegros

broken vs new (Photo: Laurent Chantegros)




Sad :(

Happy :)







No comments:

Post a Comment