(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, May 21, 2016

board#105: board for Clement




Dimensions: 5'8 x 20 1/2 x 2 5/8
[completed in July 2015]

The story: I met Clement during a surf trip to Hawaii in March 2015. We were roommates for a week and I found out that Clement had a secret talent for surfboard artwork. He is not a social media person and therefore his work is totally unseen but the guy is really gifted. He mentioned he wanted to try shaping at some point. A lot of people tells me that so I don't usually follow-up on that. But Clement did. He booked a shaping room for me in Hossegor where he lives in France so that we can shape a surfboard together during my french trip later that year. And we did. 

The shape: I was in touch with Clement before I arrived to Hossegor in order for him to buy the right blank for the shape he wanted. Thankfully it was a shortboard because he only had few hours of shaping room time. Plus, I wanted to take the time to explain the steps and have him participate to the shape. And this is without counting the time we spent trying to adjust to the inadequate tools we had to work with. Not the ideal conditions to be shaping. We hardly had time to finish the board when the time was up. But the whole point of this was for Clement to get a feel of shaping. And he did. For him like for me it was an interesting experience.

The artwork: all credits to Master Clement who designed and executed the cutest artwork on this board. I am so happy with the finished board!!! I can't wait to see him ride it this summer when I come visit him in Hossegor!




with Clement and his fresh shaped board

The board he wanted to replicate
with his own artwork

Clement took care of renting that shaping room for us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment