(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, March 13, 2016

board#098: longboard for Nicole


dimensions: 9'0 x 22 x 2 5/8
[completed in June 2015]

The story: Nicole has been riding a couple of my shortboards in contests and also in Hawaiian line-ups where she surfs regularly. Nothing could make me more happy when she asked for a longboard! Although she is an excellent shortboarder, she wanted a summer board to have fun on smaller waves. But then, she found out she loved longboarding too... Nicole is a complete surfer she can ride either shortboard or longboard and shines in both. So proud to be shaping for her!

The shape: Nicole was borrowing an old Jon Wegener longboard with a beautiful shape. As it was working very good for her, I mainly tried to align my shape to that board. I mixed several of my template to find the right outline for her. The whole time I shaped it I had the Wegener board as a reference on the side of the shaping room. Always nice to have such a classic reference to work  with!

The artwork: Totally Nicole's idea! She said she wanted green/blue/teal waves on a teal board. Because I am always looking for more work, I added the idea of horizontal fading in opposition in the waves. White logo.

The testimonial: I got to go surf with Nicole. That is the best testimonial seeing her riding my board on the noose with a big smile on her face!












watching Nicole from the line-up: priceless


sharing the waves with her. 


3 comments:

  1. So nice pictures with beautiful girls :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pic. Full of love story. Thank for sharing. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George! The story behind the surfboards I build for my customers is what makes me love what I do.

      Delete