(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, February 27, 2016

board#97: longboard for Dina



Dimensions: 7'2 x 21 x 2 5/8
[completed in May 2015]
Model Valerie

The story: One day, on my home spot parking lot, a lady driving by suddenly stopped her car next to mine. She pointed at my board and she said: "that is exactly what I am looking for". I handed her my business card and 3 months later she got "the board she was looking for".

The shape: this is shape is one of my favorite, if not my favorite. That is what works for me and I had so many good sessions on this board. Dina had the same body shape than mine so it was just the perfect fit for her. I didn't have to customize too much. I shaped it how I would for myself which makes the shaping much easier.

The artwork: once I was done with the shaping, Dina stopped by my house with a paper which was precisely what Dina wanted. (This woman knows what she wants at every level ;) We are not only sharing the same body shape :)) I just followed the directions. It was an interesting concept of an artwork which would mimic resin tint with overlaps. Reason: cost & weight. I loved the result! I was almost jealous I was not the one who came up with this artwork in the first place. The cherry on the cake are the gorgeous Bamboo fins from NVS. 

The light glass was done at Global Glassing.

"sketch" made by Dina !!!


bamboo fins by NVS






No comments:

Post a Comment