(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Monday, September 7, 2015

board#080: egg for Nicolas (Keltic Surf Academy 4/5)

the only picture of board#080 (the one in the middle).

Dimensions: 6'8 x 21 1/8 x 2 1/2
[completed in January 2015]
model Vintage 17

The story: Fourth board shaped for a group of french surfers coming to SoCal for a surf trip (see details of the story here). This one was for Nicolas. Hard for me to write about Nicolas as we barely communicated.  I got this message from the organizer of the surf trip:

"Nicolas -> 1m73 65kg
niveau débutant/intermédiaire
Ca sera sa première board
Souhait: une board passe partout en 6’2 avec un peu de volume pour la rame. Monté en 2+1

Il surfe des beachbreak classique en bretagne"

In brief it was his first board ever and it sounded like he was just starting surfing. Then I exchanged a couple of one sentence emails with Nicolas directly. Clearly, that board was a necessity. That was probably the Mere-Made customer with who I had the least interaction ever! But it seems it was part of the deal not to have to worry about his board.

The shape: Because of the very limited directions given, I had the chance to pick the shape I wanted to. I went with an outline I really like and I know works for intermediate surfer, the Vintage 17 model. Always a lot of fun to shape, except for the channels!

The artwork: pretty much the same story as for the shape. Nicolas could not care less about what was painted on his board. Because of the time constraint (I needed to make 5 boards within a month), I decided to do a very simple artwork, using the same color I had ready in the spray-gun for another board ;)






2 comments:

  1. hmmmm... that's a tough order! so little communication... well, hopefully Nicolas liked it?

    ReplyDelete