(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, August 29, 2015

board#078: glider for Cedric (Keltic Surf Academy 2/5)






dimensions: 8'0 x 22 1/8 x 2 7/8
[completed in January 2015]

The story: this is the second board part of a crazy project of shaping 5 boards for a surf trip (see previous post on this here). This board was for the organizer of the surf trip and therefore for the person who contacted me with this crazy idea to have boards shaped/ready to surf for a group of french surfers coming to California. I interacted with Cedric by email/messenger about his board but also about his fellow's boards as, like it was confirmed when I met him in person, he is someone who cares about others. It is a very rare trait nowadays. 

The shape: the shape he requested (a glider) was a first for me. He noticed my ignorance but he didn't panic and he enlightened me by sending numerous information and pictures. I was a bit anxious and I did my own research by visiting surf shops to spy on those gliders ;) 50/50 rails, pintail, V bottom not the tail, flat on the nose, there were many technical challenges on this board. It was great learning experience!

The artwork: gliders seem to be classically glassed in resin tint. Cedric asked for a ice blue color which turned out really classy. Too bad that the glass shop forgot about some specific details and logo size… BUT they didn't forget about Cedric's logo he created just for the occasion. It says "Handmade in California 2015". Right on!

The testimonial: Cedric got to surf it on my home spots right away. He said he needed adjustments first, specially where to position himself on the board. Hard to try a new boards on a new spot. But after a couple of sessions he became more comfortable on his Mère-Made Glider which is now gliding in Brittany!

Note: Cedric has created a very cool site for surfers. Please visit: http://enviedesurfer.fr






all these Mère-made for the Keltic Surf Academy

Cedric (first on the left) with his friends and surf trip fellows.

No comments:

Post a Comment