(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Friday, September 4, 2015

board#079: shortboard for Ana (Keltic Surf Academy 3/5)


dimensions: 6'1 x 20 1/8 x 2 3/8
[completed in december 2014]

The story: this is the third board (out of 5) made for a member of a surf trip in South California (see previous post). This one was for a very young lady named Ana who lives and study in France. We worked on her board through emails and Messenger. Even through virtual discussions I could feel the genuine passion and positive vibes coming from her. She is probably one of the most enthusiastic person I shaped for!! She would regularly but politely check on the progress with being too pushy. Then I got the meet her in person when she came to pick up her board. She was exactly the person I imagined behind the keyboard: a young dynamic woman full of positive energy. It was such a great pleasure to meet her!

The shape: Ana sent me a couple of model she liked/tried. I worked with her on the dimensions that will match her surfing skills and progression curve. The constraints were to keep some paddling ability as well as the possibility to duck dive the board.

The artwork: when I asked her what she would like on her board, I could tell she hasn't thought about it. She said she would get back to me with a plan shortly. And then she sent me a sketch with a triangle pattern. It was very new to me as I am usually into stripes. Triangles sounds interesting… until I realized how much work it would be: I cut out tens of triangles and placed them geometrically in order to spray the color.. When I started to spray the paint, with the paint flow, the triangles started to get off. I decided to spray a minimum by doing a fading effect. I painted one of the triangle with a neon pink for logo placement. It became of of my favorite artwork.





Ana (wearing a blue sweater) with her  surf trip fellows



No comments:

Post a Comment