(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, November 15, 2014

board#058: retro single fin for David




Dimensions: 7’0 x 22 x 3 1/8
[Completed in July 2014]

The story: I have known David for more than 15 years. He was at my wedding. I consider him as family. Therefore I was thrilled when he requested to have a Mère-Made surfboard in his quiver. David lives in France with his wife Nathalie and their beautiful children. When I travelled to France last July it was the perfect opportunity to meet with them again …  and shape David a surfboard.

The shape: David wanted a retro style single shape. He usually have those shaped by his regular Brazilian shaper, Huicif Rahim (HRSurfboards). So I felt honored and a bit pressured to have to deliver what he was expecting from a shaper who has been shaping for him for years. But I always love challenges and I dived into that project. From pictures and from memory of David’s surfing skills (no fear, charging big big big) and his size (1m80/90kg), I created a new shape for him inspired from the Feather Fastback (Dewey Weber). 
The actual shaping took place at Swop Surfboards workshop in Canejan last July.

The artwork: The artwork was discussed while sipping a delicious champagne cocktail prepared by David. Yummy!!!! So I basically said yes to any suggestion without arguing :) He insisted for a very stylized representation of the symbol of his Moai tribe drew by his wife Nathalie. It looks simple but it was actually a lot of taping!

The glass was done at Eclipse Surfboards.

PS: thank you David for sending the pictures!

artwork designed by Nathalie
(David's wife)




No comments:

Post a Comment