(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, November 8, 2014

board#057: shortboard for Antoine

Brittany flag inspired artwork
Board just painted (before glassing)

Dimensions: 5'10 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4
[completed in July 2014]

The story: This order was a "international cyber order"! Everything happened through internet. Benoit (uncle) from New-York city sent me an email to order a gift board for his nephew (Antoine) located in Brittany, France. I contacted Antoine via Facebook Messenger asking him details about the board he wants/needs. I travelled from San Diego California to shape his board in Bordeaux (France) from where it was picked up by Antoine's friend. His friends drove 500 miles to deliver the board to Antoine. Benoit, the uncle paid by PayPal. I have never met Antoine. Isn't that weird??? 

The shape: Antoine asked my opinion about getting the Vedette model he saw on Facebook from my post about Rudy Marechal. It is always difficult to estimate dimensions for a person you don't know, without a visual of his surfing skills. I asked the maximum details about his weight, etc… and I talked to Rudy to ask of this opinion as the Vedette model was made for him. We decided to make Antoine a 5'10 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4 . 
The shaping took place at Swop Surfboards.

The artwork: a big shout out to Benoit (the generous uncle) who designed the artwork on Illustrator and sent me the file on time. The Brittany flag inspired design required a lot of taping but only one sprayed color (Thanks for that!). 
The glass was done at Eclipse Surfboards in France.

Testimonial: 
"Et voilà enfin le petit bijoux est arrivé à la maison , je l ai reçu ce vendredi , et déjà deux sessions avec, une où il y avait des vagues d une taille de bonhomme mais des vagues un peu molle et du coup j ai eu du mal à shooter ,je le savais qu elle n était pas adaptee a ce type de vague mais j étais trop impatient de monter dessus..... Et puis ce matin sur un autre spot avec des vagues plus petites mais beaucoup plus creuses et là je me suis régalé..... Je suis trop content"





Antoine en pleine action!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment