(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Board #011: a mini-long board for...me!

Dimensions: 7'2 x 22 1/4 x 2 3/4
[completed in may 2012]

I have been busy like a bee shaping mostly for my husband and for my friends. I wanted board #011 to be mine. 11 is my lucky number (I think) as I keep seeing this number everywhere. So for board#011 my goal was to replace my beloved but delaminating 7'2 Walden. I had the greatest rides on that board and I wanted something very similar for either flat days or more challenging surf where I feel safer taking off a bit further out. 
The shape was easier than usual as I knew exactly what I wanted. The more difficult part was the bottom as The Walden mini-magic models have a double + single concave going all the way to the nose. I added a mini V bottom at the very end of the tail (where the middle fin is). I had a lot of fun shaping that board.
The design is my favorite "animal": a dragon which I purposely picked chinese because 2012 is the year of the dragon! The background has neon colors: I want my board to be seen from the parking lot so my friends can easily spot me in the line-up :) Pink and orange are my favorite colors. I hope you like too.

Glassing (4 oz, 4+4 oz) and by Global Glassing in Oceanside. The board is super light!

on the road towards stoke

airbrushed pink to orange fade 

my daughter and I are always in sync,
we even blink together on the pictures
pretty close, isn't it?

the neon colors are a big hit with my 3 year old






8 comments:

  1. Omg I love it!!!!! Is that the board you will be Urfing on with me Ina few weeks! 2 Mere made boards on he line up!! How cool will that be! And we have to take pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my dragon can't wait to hang out with Mo :) It is going to be a Mere-made show

      Delete
  2. Forgive my typos. This I phone small keys and my old eyes .. They don't all work together! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouahh, elle est superbe cette mini longboard !!
    Un grand bravo, tu es vraiment une artiste!
    Cela fait un petit moment que je me pose la question et je crois que je vais passer le pas comme toi, mais en beaucoup moins pro, à essayer de nous shaper nos surf pour mon fils et moi, et pourquoi pas un jour pour ma fille aussi. Mon idée, c'est de m'y mettre à l'automne. Pour l'instant je me renseigne sur le matos et j'ai une question si tu le permets. je voudrai travaillé avec des fibres de bois, l'as-tu déjà fait ?
    Merci d'avance et très bon week-end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salut Nat! Quel plaisir d'apprendre que tu te lances dans le shape!!!! Pour le matos, tu dois surement deja connaitre mais au cas ou, je recommande http://www.jeshapemaplanche.com/
      je te conseille d'emprunter le rabot electrique pour les premieres fois (ca evite d'investir dans cet outil qui coute la peau des fesses :)). Renseignes-toi sur le forum des shapeurs francais http://www.shaperoom.net/
      Tu y trouveras surement un gentil shapeur dans ta region qui peut de preter un rabot... Aussi tu y trouveras des renseignements sur le travail du bois. Je n'ai malheureusement pas explore cet aspect du shape. En tout cas, pour apprendre j'ai beaucoup surfe...le web :) Il y a plein de video d'apprentissage. Bon shape et tiens moi au courant de tes avancees. Je ne suis pas une "pro" mais je peux peut-etre repondre a certaines de tes questions sur le shape des pains en polyurethane. Tu peux me contacter anytime sur surfmama101@gmail.com. A bientot!

      Delete
    2. Coucou Surfmama,
      Merci pour tes conseils, effectivement tout comme toi, j'ai déjà parcouru le web, me suis inscrite à tous les forums... et prix pas mal de contact, mais quand au travail de fibres de bois, je n'ai pas eu trop de feeback car peu les travaillent dans leur "garage".
      Bon dimanche, ☺
      Nat

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete