(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Thursday, February 9, 2012

board #008: a longboard for Michelle

Dimensions: 8'0 x 22 1/2 x 3 
[completed in january 2012]

You might know Michelle through another name. She is a very popular blogger from the OC... Yes! My friend Michelle is the famous "Surfing GrandMa of the OC"! I came across her fun blog last year and I'm hooked since then (http://surfinggrandma.blogspot.com/). Her blog is so popular that she has been featured in the latest WSSM issue!

Last year I got to meet her during one of her all-girl surf trip to San Elijo lagoon. I am about the meet her again soon because I have a special delivery for her. Indeed, few months ago she ordered a Mère-Made surfboard which is now ready for pick up. She asked for a shorter board than her beloved 9'0 as she is getting more experienced. Because she likes the Robert August girl board I shaped her something similar (surely not as good as an original Robert August but I'm trying my best ;)) in 8'0. It has a nose rocker that will accommodate some late drop ins in serious steep waves. Go Michelle! I kept some volume for an easier paddling on any kind of waves. Because that what we want after all: taking a lot of waves ;) The bottom is slightly V shaped (I like Vs!).

The design was almost as important as the shape for board #008... Michelle was very excited about the teal color and seahorses. Other than those wishes she let me totally free to create anything I wanted. I spray painted a HUGE seahorse on the deck with some seaweeds (well actually, I painted the rest of the board except the seahorse... Is it called "reverse painting"?). I can't wait to hear how she is going to name her new baby!


waiting for its new owner
board#008
but my second women board



It was supposed to be the Blogger logo in the middle
but the orange color came out a bit pale ;(

My mermaid looking good on a teal background

leash plug on the side

The tan color kinda match my house

read testimonial on Michelle's blog:
http://surfinggrandma.blogspot.com/2012/02/gave-mo-go-in-big-blue-o.html

Michelle and Mo on their first date
(photo from Michelle's blog)


7 comments:

  1. Nice job ! look a very fun surfboard. Easy to catch wave.
    Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drooling over here. I can't wait to get my hands on it! I'm very happy I gave you artistic freedom IT is a work of ART!! The way you described the board and dimensions its exactly what I wanted and more! I can't wait to try it! And Thank you for the kind words but I don't know about "Famous" LOL! I am looking forward to not only getting my board next week..but also being able to see my friend :)!Thank you Miss V..Till next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That board kicks ass!!! Girl, you have mad skills!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Surfsister! I know you just got a very nice pig last year but when you need another board I'll be so honored to shape one for you. Great people inspires me!
    All my best wishes for your prompt recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My quiver is good for now, but everyone knows those feelings never last long with me. I will definitely hit you up for a board (sooner rather than later). You do fantastic work and I would love to have a board shaped by another surf chick, especially one who's a mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I KNOW you are gonna get sick of this.. OR maybe not.. BUT I LOVE MY NEW BOARD! IT IS EXACTLY everything I have hoped for so far! I am in LOVE LOVE LOVE!..

    SS.. I am still eyeballing your red, black and white board..;-)..I do love that one too.

    BUT I do LOVE MY MO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never get sick of hearing that a board that I specially designed for you is surfing in real life like it was supposed to in my imagination.
      I'm so glad Mo found a loving mom ;)

      Delete