(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Thursday, October 9, 2014

board#055: noserider for Michelle

a mermaid on a Mere-Made for mermaid Michelle!

Dimensions: 9'0  x 22 1/4 x 3
[completed in August 2014]
Model Velzy

The story: Michelle has been one of my very first supporter when I started shaping. We knew each other from Blogger and after we met for the first time, we became friends in real life. She ordered me board#008/"Mo" back in 2012 (click here for the story). Since then she has been so supportive that I often joke she is  my best sales rep! But I would hire her for real if I had the money!!!! She would do awesome as a Mere-Made representative! One day maybe…

Last year she texted me with a surfboard custom order: she wanted a "purple/deep blue/emerald noserider with a blond glittery mermaid on the deck". I was jumping up and down inside!!! Not only I was going to make my friend Michelle her second board but she was asking everything I would wish for on my own surfboard…

The shape: I naturally used the noserider template I made for a previous board (see here) which I adjusted for Michelle's dimension request. The shape was fastidious: a longboard is a lot of foam to deal with ;))) It barely fitted in my shaping room. I had to shape the tail with the door open! I worked a very pronounced spoon and smooth 50-50 rails for a single fin setting. I shaped this board before I left for vacation, keeping the hard work for when I come back.

The artwork: the artwork was the hard work. It took me  twice the hours I spent on the shaping (10-12 hours). Probably the most challenging piece I had to create so far. But I learnt a lot from this. Specially how to integrate glitter (which my glasser was not very fond of …). Anyway, the countless hours of work paid off, I think… When I went to pick it up at Global Glassing they said: "you can't put wax on this piece of art!!!" It means the world to me. By the way, a big shout out to Johnny, my glasser at Global Glassing, and all the folks who participated to the glass of this board. I know it was challenging but they did an amazing job. So thankful to have a great glass team behind all my boards… Thank you guys!

Testimonial (09/22/14_Facebook comment from Michelle"):
"AND she rides just as good as she looks.. I feel don't do her justice! I need to up my skill level! 
This board is also good therapy .. Made me get back in the water and now I want to go everyday.. Ha!"


I love those white logos printed by Boardlams






Michelle and "Esmeralda" (board#055)

5 comments:

  1. Such a work of art. I was honoured to see Esmeralda for real and she is very impressive! And purple is my favourite colour! Great job. Bron x

    ReplyDelete
  2. …. It was even more magical to give away Esmeralda to Michelle with you being here !!!!! Very special moment indeed. Everything was happening just right, in harmony, … hard to explain… it was just perfect. So nice meeting you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beauty! Do you also do your art on boards shaped elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Unfortunately the artwork is just a bonus/extra that comes with the board! My real skill is the shaping part ;)

      Delete
  4. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think. Surf in Malta

    ReplyDelete