(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, July 26, 2014

board#044: short board for Charles


Californian board for Californian boy!

Dimensions: 6'7 x 21 x 2 3/4
[completed in July 2014]

The story: Charles was born and raised in California. This is pretty rare. Although he lived in South California most of his life, he was mostly snowboarding, scuba diving and boating. He had only surfed a little in his teenage age. When he learnt about my custom boards he decided it was the good opportunity to get back in the waves with a surfboard made for him. 

The shape: Charles was clearly interested to get shortboard shape. However because he never surfed as an grown-up (only occasionally as a teenager) we agreed to compensate a relative short length with very generous volumes all over in order to make his come-back into surfing easier. I shaped this very thick short board for easy paddling/floatability with a concave for speed once on the wave.

The artwork: I had no choice but to listen to Charles' wish: he was 200% determined to get a California flag with the wood pattern in the background. He said that, while not in the water, this board would be hang on the wall of his living room! I recreated the artwork I had made for Cody earlier this year (see board#038 here) as I knew already how to: pattern printed on fabric by Boardlams.com and laid-in on the deck. When I saw his big smile when I delivered the board I knew I had accomplished my mission.





That's before the great glass job at Global Glassing!





1 comment: