(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, August 10, 2014

board#047: shortboard for Vincent


Dimensions: 5’8 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/8
[completed in May 2014]
Vedette model

The Story: Rudy had six Vedette boards made for him. Vincent, my husband, was jealous and wanted one. End of the story.

The shape: This board was made in parallel with 4 other Vedette boards I was shaping for Rudy Marechal’s competition quiver. That might have been a strategic mistake. I was stressed out and all I was thinking about is to complete Rudy’s quiver. I was not very in the mood for an extra board for my husband who had so many shaped for him already… I shaped him a Vedette but Vincent made me go back three times in the shaping room to remove some foam as he felt it had too much volume for him. After I retouched it for the third time I told him I was done. When the board came back from the glass shop, Vincent immediately turned over me with the look that says:” I told you so”.  He thought the overall volume and the volume repartition were not adapted to his surf preferences. He gave it a try and surfed well on it (according his friend). However He was not feeling it. We sold the board at Encinitas Surfshop. At least someone is surfing this board.  First time I sell a Mere-Made through a shop though L

The artwork: like always, Vincent was totally open to any artwork. He just wanted colors. I grabbed masking tape and improvised a quick and easy artwork. Vincent loved it (at least he loved something on that board J).














No comments:

Post a Comment