(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

board#046: single for "Victoria"


she decided it was her board! Fine!

Dimensions: 5'0 
[Completed in April 2014]

The story: one day I messed-up a blank. I was aiming for a 5'7 and for some reasons I still have not figured out I cut the blank at 5'0… I kept that failed outline in the corner of my shaping room with hope that one day I can recycle the foam into something useful. I had it around for months when my friend Rudy looked at it and declared it would be a fun single fin board. So be it! I put the messed-up blank back on the stand and shaped it into a retro single. 

The shape: because I never done a single fin shape before, I went to nearby surf shop to study. I came back and had...fun! No pressure as this was nobody's board, for occasional surfing, more like a gadget board. I signed it "for Vincent & Rudy" because they were both pushing for me to shape it like a "performance-single-to-throw-airs". Therefore I followed their vision and carved a deep single concave instead of the traditional V bottom. However the concave gradually transitions to a little belly on the nose in order to give it a retro vibe!

The artwork: I could not resist to paint this cute little thing with girly colors. It was definitely a "she". My inspiration was the VS stripes (again! I know…) and the french marshmallow I loved in my childhood. When I was done with the paint job, my daughter came to look at it and gasped "you made a board for me mommy????!!!!!!"… I melted and said "….yes!" because she can't read the names on the signature yet… Until that day Vincent & Rudy have to ask her permission to ride "her" board. Anyway I will probably change the signature for her name as this board reflects her personnality so well : cute and fun!

Testimonial: my daughter "surfed" it once, of course. I knew that would happen :) The boys play with it from time to time. But definitely an eye catcher as people stop us to comment on this board (and sometime try it!).







Vincent


Rudy

Rudy 


Rudy

Rudy

Rudy

Friends are welcome to try it… like Joe on this picture
Joe looks perplex



The real owner of the board


the one leg froggy move: definitely a 10 for grace and agility!





2 comments:

  1. OMG that is the cutest story ever! I love it!
    Bron :)

    PS. 9 weeks to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to meet you and your family!!!!!

      Delete