|made in California...|
Dimensions: 6'2 x 21 5/8 x 2 3/8
[Completed in April 2014]
The story: funny that I get to write a story for a storyteller. Indeed, Cody is a video journalist for NBC news. Today, he and his new board are the center of my story. The board he asked me to create is the most expensive, complex and delayed board I ever made.
- Dec 14th: Cody contacted me through FB to order a custom board.
- Jan 24th: we met for the first time at the Hansen shop in Downtown Encinitas to look at some shapes. He had a cute little sketch (on paper) of the very specific artwork he wanted. I also met with his son and his life partner, and dad!
- Jan 30th I sent him the outline of his board along with a quote. To this date this board is the most pricy Mere-made board ever made (see other sections for why that is).
- Feb 2nd: Super Bowl final day: I lock myself in the shaping room to shape with my favorite tunes.
- Feb 9th: Cody visit the shaping room to check his almost finished board and put his own little sanding touch to it!
- Feb 10th: I send the artwork to John at Boardlams.com
- March 1st: I drop the board to Bing shop for the glassing
- April 18th: board#38 was finally BORN!!!!
The shape: when Cody showed me the board he wanted I went a bit pale... I played cool but I was sweating inside. He was pointing at the Shadow model from Von Sol. This board has special wings I never heard of before ("E-Wings") and channels. But I love challenges, so I swallowed my anxiety and went for it, full throotle. No regrets. It had a blast fun shaping this board. Plus, I can add "E-Wings" on my shaper resume ;)
The artwork: when Cody showed me the artwork he wanted I went a bit pale... I played cool but I was sweating inside. Oh…. wait did I just said that for The Shape section??? Well, the artwork was very challenging too and I decided to rely on my friend John from Boardlams.com in Los Angeles to print out the design (I created on the awesome Boardlams website tool) on fabric. Then I relied on Bing to lay that fabric on the deck with the extra difficulty of following the E-wings. I love team effort! And because of the all the fight it was to get this done, Cody decided to name his model" Valkyrie". So perfect!
The ride: this is what Cody had to say about hiss board when he tried it for the first time:
"IN LOOOOOVVVVEEEE WITH IT!!! I took her out for a couple hours this morning and it was we were separated at birth! Thank you so much!!!...The rocker is fantastic! If I could make love to this board, I would." Can't beat a fed-back like that!.. Thanks so much Cody! I am super stoked that you and your board became best friends. I am happy you became my friend.
[seleted by Boardporn]
[seleted by Boardporn]
|courtesy of Cody Gless ;)|
|Cody is helping with the final sanding!|
Cody and Sarah