(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Monday, July 9, 2012

board#012: shortboard for Vincent (again!!!!)

Dimensions: 5'10 x 18 x 2
[completed in June 2012]

A brand new Mère-Made in my husband's quiver.  Because of him I feel like specializing in light weight shortboards, even though I can't surf those tiny boards. Although I am using the exact same template (outline), I learn how the resulting board can be very different depending on the blank, the rocker, the concave, the rail, etc... It is definitely a challenge for me to shape identical boards! Good thing Vincent has eagle eyes and monitor the shaping of his boards step by step (and in between steps: he can really be annoying sometimes :)). 
For the design, he wanted something which looks fast and radical (like his surfing). Last summer, when we visited our friends from SWOP surfboards in Bordeaux, Vincent loved a particular board he saw in the workshop's rack: it had the design seen on Mike Fanning boards. Arghhh, I hate to say that but I just copied that design for board#012. Click here to see the original design by SWOP Surfboards.

The glassing was done with great speed (less than 10 days) and expertise at Global Glassing (Oceanside, CA). Great job! I deeply apologize to the Global Glassing team for getting a phone call from Vincent everyday for 10 days... He gets very obsessed when it comes to his boards.

an eagle landed in our backyard

light like a feather




Vince is my best sales rep!

Time to try the beast

We love Famous products. Can you tell?


first wax in a hurry before the sun sets








2 comments:

  1. I am the happy customer of this awesome board. This is not only the best board that my wife shape for me but also one of the best board I ever had. It's fast, light (thank you Global Glassing) and turn like a charm. Thank's honey for being my personal shaper :).

    ReplyDelete