(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Monday, October 10, 2011

board #001: shortboard for Valentin

dimensions: 5'5 x 19 x 2 1/8
[completed in april 2011]

I shaped this board for my 8 year old son. He was a beginner who needed a kid-size board (easy to carry down the trail under his arm) but floaty and stable. I imagined this kid shortboard for him. It is a very special piece as it was my very first time shaping a surfboard ever. The shape is far for being clean and I would definitely change many things if I had to do it again, now that I gained a bit more experience... but my son is very proud to have his very own board (signed by Rob Machado, by the way ;)) The fin system is FCS plugs with Soft-Tech fins (safer for kiddos' heads!). The glass was done by Moonlight Glassing Co.

The bright green color illustrates a leaf on which the shadow of a tree frog contrasts.  

For more details, check out this link from my "eat, surf, love" blog:







Daddy gave the board a test-ride:




No comments:

Post a Comment