(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Sacred Craft expo: where shapers are rock stars.

Shaper Daniel Thomson is signing a board he just shaped

Sacred Craft is the name of the annual shaping exhibit held in Del Mar. 
As you imagine, I was waiting feverishly to go there to meet and learn from the pros. I had a great time watching live shaping, admiring beautiful boards, and chatting with friends. As a shaper in training, this kind of event surely gives a boost to my learning curve. Instead of harassing the same shaper with an average of 10,000 questions, I could dilute my enthusiastic annoyance to many professionals present there. I had  blast. Here a the pictures.

Live shaping: the shapers are trapped in a glass shaping room
Larry Mabile was also demonstrating his skills

Surprising but interesting collaboration:
 Paul Franck & Robert August!
even the glass that goes in the trash is art!

with "Sacred Crafter", Peter St Pierre, 
from Moonlight Glassing Co at the Surfy Surfy booth

Carl Ekstrom was the guest of honor of this Sacred Craft

I wish I could have taken one ... or a few of Carl Ekstrom's asymmetrical boards

with my friend, handplane artist, shaper and blogger Ed Lewis
(www.theleucadiaproject.com)
shaping is not all: colorful boards rock!


almost done...


I totally fell for that board with The Endless summer theme
(Arghhh, I love pink and orange!)


1 comment:

  1. THE ONE WITH THE RED SUN IS A VON SOL SHADOW...
    LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete