(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, April 5, 2014

board#037: mini-gun for Vincent


Blacks Beach… where else to try out a mini-gun?

dimensions: 6'5 x 18 3/8 x 2 3/16
[completed in February 2014]

The story: Last year Vincent went to Fiji with 3 Mere-Made Surfboards (see his amazing trip here). Only two came back... He snapped the Switchfoot board in two pieces on the last day. It was very dear to my heart as all the whole band, my favorite band, had autographed it. Winter 2014 was coming to California and with it the big swells which would require big boards. Also I just shaped a mini-gun for two of Vincent 's friends (mini-gun for Sylvain / mini-gun for Mark) and a mini-gun was all Vincent was thinking about! 

The shape: I worked from a Eric Arakawa's shape I had seen. The best shapers always inspire me as I regularly fall in love with their outlines. This board was my first shape after my little stay-shape-camp at  the SWOP factory during Christmas. Every time, it is a like a milestone of my learning curve: I am so re-energized and ready to apply all I just learnt. 

The artwork: not really one… I had an hour to spray some colors on the board. Better than all white! Glassing was done at Global Glassing: light, light, light.

Photos at Blacks: David Charbonnel.

board#037 came right on time for Valentine's day…
not really on purpose but it made its effect!







beautiful scenery









No comments:

Post a Comment