(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, October 7, 2012

I met Robert August (Part 1)


Yesterday I planned to go to the Surf Expo (ex Sacred Craft) in Del Mar. I knew Robert August would be shaping live at 11am. It was a no brainer. I took the whole family in the car and we headed to the Del Mar Fairground. The parking was a mess a the Mud Race was going on the same day and I started to doubt it was a good idea to go that day... We finally reached the Surf Expo almost running (not in the mud though :)). What happened there is just a dream come true.

I get to the shaping bay where Robert August is getting ready to finish a 9'0 WIR ("What I Ride") model. While he's waiting to get wired with a microphone and introduced by Scott Bass, I quickly say hi very shyly and shake his hand. We exchange few words. This already made my day.
I am watching the master shaping his famous tear drop concave under the nose. He answers questions from the audience but I am so impressed and shy that I am totally frozen although I have a gazillion questions to ask. 
Then, comes the unbelievable part. 
After Robert August is done with his shaping session the speaker announces that the board will be given away to anyone interested. "Interested"????!!!! I am literally drooling but someone instantly claims it as I am still standing frozen in my little corner. And then my inner me takes over control as I get in survival mode: I step forward, raise my hand and shout firmly in a very non-me way : " I WANT IT TOO!".  To solve the dilemma, Robert August flips a coin. And I won... I mean, I won a Robert August board shaped by him at the Surf Expo. At that point I am ecstatic. My husband is somewhere wandering at the event and when I tell him, he first does not understand as he thinks I lost my mind. But with the biggest smile on my face we all go get the board at the Robert August's booth.
I felt like a won the lottery.
Back home, I am contemplating that board which I will paint and bring back to the Robert August shop in Huntington for his glassing crew to put the official signature and logo.  To be continued...


talking to the audience while shaping... my board :)

The Master

the shaping bay equipped with microphone/webcam and a live audience
with Robert August

I also got to talk to Daniel Thomson :)

also at the Surf Expo, Mike Hynson

8 comments:

  1. So cool about the board... But I need to text you something!! I met Mr. August before he actually came to our clubs Christmas party before.. He is friends with friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI GIRLS <3 Sérieux cé dingue:-))))))) tu m'épates :-)))))) JE VEUX UNE PLANCHE DE TOI; cé possible; il faut q'on se renseigne sur les histoires de port cé tout; ( de TOI la planche hein; pas de robert august; quoique.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleepy siren!!!! Where have you been...???? And I can't read or speak French.. Can you or Valerie translate please???? :-)

      Delete
    2. To SGOC: Sleepy Siren is back she said she wants a board from me :) the problem is the shipping to France...
      Me too I am glad to hear from Sleepy Siren!!!!

      Delete
    3. To Sleepy/Scrappy siren: Bah alors?! ou t'etais pendant tout ce temps??? Je commencais a m'inquieter.
      C'est sur qu'avec un pseudo comme sleepy/scrappy siren il te faut une Mere-Made board :) Mais bon va falloir etudier le probleme des frais de port :( et ca c'est pas gagne...
      P'tet qu'un jour je viendrais visiter mes copains de chez SWOP en France et je pourrais t'en faire une sur place!!!

      Delete
  3. ben je surfais quoi :-)))))) pas d'hifone, pas de connexion dans le van :-)))))))))))

    ReplyDelete