(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Thursday, March 20, 2014

board#035: mini-gun for Sylvain

Sylvain and his 35th birthday's gift
 (although he turns 35 in more than a year)

Dimensions: 6'7 x 19 1/4 x 2 1/2
[completed on December 2013]

The story: when I started to shape, 3 years ago, I joked with my friend Sylvain that I would shape him Board#035 for his 35th birthday… At that time, I thought that #035 would not come before a long time. The fact is that, even though Sylvain only turned 34 this year, I was getting close to board#35… A promise is a promise! Plus, the timing was perfect as I was getting ready to spend some time in France (where Sylvain lives!). I reached out to David Charbonnel at SWOP Surfboards and asked him if I could borrow his shaping room while he would be on a slower production mode during the Xmas break. He kindly accepted and volunteered for the glass job. This board was meant to be!

The shape: Sylvain likes to surf big waves in the Basque Country (France). When I say "big", I mean "huge" (see pictures). His quiver displays serious guns including a 9'0 custom Christensen gun. He also short boards when smaller but he was missing a board for intermediate size waves. Digging in SWOP template and with some suggestions from David, I made that mini-gun without pressure, just the fun of being in France shaping a board for a very good friend under the supervision of very good friend.

The artwork: Sylvain told me he liked geometric modern artwork. He also said he would trust my tastes and creativity… Glad he give me carte blanche on that artwork because I had only a couple of hours to pull that one out. That afternoon I played with masking tape, colors and the spray gun like I was in a playground.

The state-of-the-art glassing was done by SWOP in a record time (Thank you so much David!) so that I can deliver the board to Sylvain when I was visiting him few days after. And you know what Sylvain  said ??? "Can I get another one for my 40th birthday??!!!"







searching for curves




always a special moment when it comes to sign the board



Glassing by SWOP

observing David from the heater (it was freezing!!!)

Sylvain posing with my daughter…
or maybe the opposite

No comments:

Post a Comment