(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Thursday, August 1, 2019

board#157: egg for Carolyn



My daughter wanted to keep the polka-dot board

Dimensions: 6'9 x 21 1/2 x 3
[completed in February 2017]
Model Vader

The story: my friend Carolyn likes to surf funboard shapes (including one of mine: board #021) but needed a shorter board to fit in a small board bag to travel to Nicaragua... with us ! Indeed the Nicaraguan domestic airline Sanza we had to take to reach our destination has very limited "cargo" space and even weights passagers (with their backpacks :)). Making that board for Carolyn was preparing for adventure!

The shape: the goal was to compact the volume that Carolyn is used to surf into a smaller board, keeping all the paddling ability. The other requirement was to keep some rocker for the late drops into steep nicaraguan waves.

The artwork: Since Carolyn is professional flamenco dancer, it was easy to go for the traditional polka-dot pattern that is seen on all the beautiful flamenco dresses. The pattern was printed on rice paper by Boardlams and laid in by my glasser, Tiger Glassing who added a classy pinline.



a bit anxious before the plane ride


The polkadot board being downloaded from the Sanza plane !

Carolyn and I 

Carolyn in action 

Oceana also likes the board 

Oceana stoked on the inside

Carolyn and her family <3





No comments:

Post a Comment