(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Friday, June 26, 2015

board#073: shortboard for Mark


Baby blue fading stripes for Mark

Dimensions: 6'0 x 191/2 x 2 5/8
[Completed in December 2014]

The story: I can't believe this is mere-Made board#4 for Mark! He is trying to compete with Vincent, or what??? Just kidding I am super stoked to shape for Mark as I see him on a different Mère-Made depending on the swell. He wisely ordered very disparate shapes/volumes that can accommodate all conditions around here. In brief he just needs a gun to have a complete Mère-Made quiver!
Keel fish (board#009), mini-gun (board#032), shortboard (board#050), and now a more polyvalent shortboard which could work in a large range of conditions including small surf. 

The shape: Mark is definitely the type of customer who knows exactly what he wants. That makes my job easier  for the design of the board, less easier when it comes to the shape itself as have to match exactly what Mark has in mind. For this one, he wanted an everyday shortboard  inspired from his board #50 but with a squash tail and with a lot of paddle ability. I mixed the nose template of his previous board with a squash tail I had to create this board. Flat deck. Single to double concave. And, of course "perfect rails" as requested by Mark on his order form.

The artwork: I usually ignore Mark's artwork suggestions… They are so crazy that I don't take him seriously, I laugh and I move on. Maybe I should take him seriously one day. Maybe he is not joking after all :) Anyway for this one, I suggested my favorite artwork (it became almost a Mère-Made signature): stripes! I added a subtile twist with a fading effect from tail to nose. I just love it!!!! Not sure about Mark's thoughts… but I love it!!!




my glasser at Global is so thoughtful…
He always matches the Global Glassing logo with the color of the board!

before glass. spray paint job on foam.
Merry Christmas Mark!


No comments:

Post a Comment