(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Monday, September 15, 2014

board#053: shortboard for Kari

Kari camouflaging
with her green strip board

Dimensions: 5'9 x 19 1/2 x 2 1/4
[completed in June 2014]

The story: Kari and I share waves at our favorite break. One day she told me "I need a shortboard".  I said "I'll make you one".  I don't know who was the most stoked. Probably me!

The shape: Kari, Vincent (my hubby/technical expert) and I met at the local surf shop and Kari made some virtual board shopping. She pointed at the shapes she would like and we selected one particular board with a round tail and generous curves. Back home I played on my computer to create something similar and sent the file to her for approval. Her new board was born. I loved shaping it as round tail shortboards are my favorite!



The artwork: The shaping part was a piece of cake compared to the artwork Kari asked for. She sent me a picture of a board she found online with a lot of stripes. A LOT of stripes. With DIFFERENT colors. I said "Ok…. but please come help cause it is going to be a nightmare" and it was :) For each color, we had to re-mask the whole board. Kari came and helped with the two first colors. I finished the 4 last ones and begged her to leave some white stripes :)))  It was hours of work on this design but looking at the result it was so worth it! 

(Glassing was done by Global Glassing in Oceanside, as usual)












2 comments: