(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

board#023: short shortboard for Vincent

Dimensions: 5'4 x 18 5/8 x 2 1/16 
[completed in June 2013]
Model Versatile

This board is my first shape after my 2 week training with SWOP shaper, David Charbonnel last May. In addition to learning more about the art of shaping in general, I was trained on being more time efficient.  This mostly consists on working more with the planner instead of hand tools and decreasing errors (and therefore decreasing the time of spent on correcting them!). I knew that my next board would be like a test: I had to prove myself and apply all I learnt. He left me some directions on the shape he wanted me to do for my husband.  He basically left me some homework to do :) 
Vincent always ride the same boards (5'10 x 18 x 2) and is very stubborn about it. David wanted him to challenge his surfing.  The shape, inspired by a the Pebble SWOP template, was aiming for a shorter board (with a bit more volume) for more maneuverability.
I started on a saturday morning and I was finished at noon on sunday. That is basically cutting my latest production time by 2!
The artwork was totally random. Vincent did not know what he wanted. I just picked a color I liked for a previous board and improvised bubbles because it sounded like fun and easy. The result is displayed on the pictures below. Vincent already tried it and approved it! He said he scored a backside 360!!! Mission only partly accomplished: the rider is satisfied I just need the review from my shaping mentor when he'll be back in California!







great job on the super light glassing!


awesome wood fins by Gofins






the little clock was to symbolize the fast delivery time

"my bubbles!"




4 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! wow, you're perfecting your craft.. very nice!!

    love the bubbles <3

    keep up the great work V!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KK, thanks for your visit on my page. I hope to surf with you soon!

      Delete
  2. Ouaaaaaa super la déco !!! Et le shape à l air vraiment bien!! On veut des photos d action maintenant !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. #23!!!! Wow look at you!!!!!
    Again this board is beautiful... I want another board or 2 but again ... I need a job :-(
    Love the bubbles !!!
    You Rock!!! I don't know how your shaping can get any better I truly love my board "Mo" I never want to surf anything else ...even on smaller days when everyone tells me ... You need a bigger board for today!!

    ReplyDelete