(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Board #020: performance fish for Vincent



Dimensions: 5'5 x 20 x 2
[completed on March 2013]

This shape is 100% original as I worked with the Surfdesigner software from Atua Core to create a high performance fish for my husband as he likes to compete in the fish division during his day-long surf contest events. I had the strict requirement of a minimum of 15 inch wide at 12 inches from both the nose and the tail to be considered as a fish by the officials. Because I got  a bit under those dimensions on the tail, I had to shorten the swallow tail to regain some width. As usual, Vincent wanted a thin board, no volume at all and he made me remove volume until I said : "it is a large short board with a swallow tail!" Performance, performance was the goal. Well, this board looks like it is going to ride like a flying fish!
The artwork is minimalist. Vincent wanted something classic for a fish. He was answered. But man,  these designs are very hard to make: the curves of mine got a bit wobbly on some parts. But at the end, I like it as it emphasizes the big-o Mère-Made logo. Vincent better represents the brand well at his next fish contest! Go Hubby!



5 fins setting for more versatility

almost as skinny as Vincent!







Ducking is a useful skill at Swamis

Cross steps on a 5'5!



behind the scenes (me taking pictures of Vincent for my blog)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I heard that you shape. Interesting seeing the pics of you in action. That board looks so FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job surfmama!!! looks like a great, fun board! hope hubby rips it in the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. je vois qu'on a pas mal de gouts en commun :))) j'ai transmis le compliment a Vincent qui a tout de suite eu un gonflement de chevilles incontrôlé! a bientôt.

      Delete