(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I met Carl Ekstrom

in the master's shaping room
(photo: Robert Wald)

Saturday morning. The sun was shining. Another beautiful day in California. But something exceptional was about to happen. 
Earlier in the week, Robert Wald editor/publisher of The Ocean Magazine mentioned he wanted to introduce me to his long-time friend Carl Ekstrom. From that moment I cleared my calendar to make some room for this meeting. I planned playdates for my kids. I loaded the car with all my boards. I was more than ready. I was actually... scared. It is not every day that I get to spend a full morning at a Genius' place. Yes. Carl Ekstrom is a genius of shapes. He creates furnitures, race cars, cups for Victoria's Secret bras (!), wave machines, to name a few. But I was visiting him for his famous and patented design of asymmetrical surfboards (visit Hydroflex surfboards website here). I sacredly listened to him the entire morning and still I could have listened non-stop for another entire week. My husband and I had the best time. 
Carl, I can't thank you enough for your welcome. Visiting your workshop, I felt like a kid going to Disneyland for the first time. The creative area of my brain is in ebullition since last week-end. And of course, my husband wants me to shape him an asymmetrical shortboard :) Thank you for all the amazing stories. 
Thank you Robert for the huge opportunity (and the pictures!).

More about this story in the next issue of The Ocean Magazine...

the miniature surfboards were so adorable
(photo: Robert Wald)

Carl Ekstrom's workshop: a toy store for shaper
 I did not blink once as I was scared to miss a thing
(Photo: Robert Wald)

I met a legend of shaping

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you to met some of the best surfboards shapers, Carl Ekstrom, Donald Takayama, Loïc Bourdon ...... ok, may be not the last one !!!

    Another great shaper for asymmetrical surfboards is Tim Bessel so I have some pretty good ideas if you need some for vince's future board.

    Bise à vous 4.

    ReplyDelete