(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Monday, October 10, 2011

board #003: ultra-light shortboard for dad

dimensions: 5'10 x 18 x 2
[completed in september 2011]

My husband only rides very specific shortboards: his boards (he breaks one every 5 months in average) need to be the lightest and the fastest on Earth. His shaper is Uncle Mike (Michael Walter) from Oceanside but I managed to convince him to let me try to shape for him. For my third board it was a real challenge to make a performance surfboard for a very picky customer.

The board is a performance shortboard for light weight (my husband is only 130 pounds). It is almost a grom board! It has a pronounced single concave that ends with a double concave.

The red stylized fast flames on the deck were airbrushed. But more importantly, for the first time, it displays my new logo ;)

The glass was done by Global Glassing in Oceanside (S glass superlight), single cloth on top and bottom plus a S cloth tail wrap. They (managed to) put Futures fin plugs in even though the tail was very very thin.













No comments:

Post a Comment