(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Thursday, November 29, 2018

board#148: kitesurf for Laurent


my first kite board !!! (with owner/rider Laurent :))
Dimensions: 5'2 x 18 x 1 3/4
[completed in February 2017]

The story: Laurent is almost a pro in windsurfing and kiteboarding. I was reluctant for a long time to make him a kite board because of my ignorance in the field. But with his technical help and some shaping skill improvements, I decided to give it a try.

The shape: my shape was totally based on an actual kite board from which I took all the dimensions I could. Laurent was there taking those 3D measurements with me and commenting on how to slighly tailor them for him. The shaping was very challenging due my lack of experience and the technicalities of such a small/thin board. It was also shaped from a very special high density foam blank (6'4 EA Brown color) recommended by Matt Kinoshita, one of the world experts on kite surfboards. The kite board also comes with 4 channels on a bottom that is already very thin. 

The artwork:... was not easier than the shaping part. Laurent wanted to make it an advertisement medium for his ex-company PhotoGuru. The logo was printed at Boardlams and laminated in the spray painted blank. The glassing was also very complex due to the large rice paper and the channels. Even the plugs for the straps were challenging and requested the expertise of Bryan from Ding King Repairs.

Definitely one of the most difficult and troubleshooted project I have been on. I would not have done it if it was not for my friend Laurent.








IN ACTION !!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment