(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, July 1, 2018

board#140: asymmetrical fish at ND Surf workshop (July 2016)



board#140

Dimensions: [don't remember]
[completed on: Never]

The story:  In Summer 2016,  I stopped by my friend Nicolas Delors's workshop (ND Surf) located in Bidart (France). The idea was to have fun making a special shape together which would be the opportunity to share experiences and tips. When I arrived early that morning before the heat kicks in, a blank was waiting for me in the ND Surf's shaping room as well as local photographer Cedric Ortiz. He beautifully documented that special shaper collaboration which was made even more special by the visit of my mom (who had never seen me shape before) and longtime friend, past Icon of Foam competitor, and amazingly talented shaper Axel Lorentz. 

The shape: Nicolas and I decided we should pick an unusual shape to have fun with it but also with some technicalities which would make us learn from it.  Before we met we exchanged few ideas by emails and we finally went for a Carl Ekstrom asymmetrical board.  With the limited time we had, the board was partially completed but the goal was not to finish it in details: the goal was to go through all the steps together and have a great time! And that part was fully completed :)

Later, the photographs of this shaping session were used to illustrate an interview in French magazine Hotdogger. Here are a selection of those amazing pictures by Cedric Ortiz (https://www.instagram.com/txipi.artz/)


planning with Nicolas




with my mama <3


with mom






trio








with Master Axel Lorentz

in Hotdogger Magazine !






No comments:

Post a Comment