(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

board#127: egg for Gauthier


Dimensions: 5'2 x 21 x 2 3/8
[completed in April 2016]
Model Viloute

The story: Gauthier is also a French expat who lives with his american family in San Francisco. He first contacted me to shape his wife a noserider (see Kendra's board here). But while we were arranging for that order, he decided to order himself an egg. Since they were coming from SF to pick-up a board, why not picking up two :)

The shape: If you know the Bean Bag from Lost, then you have an idea of which shape I used as a reference. Gauthier really liked that kind of shape and sent me a video explaining the characteristics of this board.  From there we worked together (through SKYPE sessions) to make sure we get the volumes/dimensions right for him. It took me two tries to make it as the first board was a bit too thin. I never hesitate to go back to the blank store and start from zero if I don't meet expectations. 

The artwork: Gauthier is a mastermind of design and he sent me a file showing exactly what he wanted. Mainly a 3 color fading design ! Unfortunately, I am not an paint expert so I did my best (like for the shape, I went back a second round) to make sure I go as close as possible to Gauthier's expectations... The result was slightly different than the original idea (colors were darker) but still surfs very well ... since I witnessed him taking his first waves on it :)

artwork sent by Gauthier






Gauthier's first wave at my home spot :)


No comments:

Post a Comment