(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Friday, September 23, 2016

board#115: longboard for Isabella


Dimensions: 8'0 x 21 1/4 x 2 3/4
[completed in November 2015]
Model Valerie

The story: Isabella is a teenager from the East Coast but she studies here in California and therefore she lives with her uncle's family. It was his idea to give her a surfboard to reward her good work at school. Plus, she could now follow him on the waves during her free time. I thought it was already a very special board but it became even more emotional when I learnt that Isabella wanted an iris as artwork. This was the favorite flower of her Grand-mother who she misses a lot.

The shape: Isabella was a surfer in training but not her uncle who could help me to figure out the type of board she would need. My best-seller model Valerie adjusted with more length and volume overall was picked.

The artwork: Like mentioned in the story section, Isabella insisted for an iris. I was a bit resistant to make what she was suggesting first with vivid colors... Because it was representing her Grand-Mother, I wanted the artwork to be soft and delicate. Even though I am not a painter, I took my brushes and painted the flower on the foam. Because of the texture of the foam, it looks like watercolors. Exactly what I imagined for Isabella.

Only photo I have :(



No comments:

Post a Comment