(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

board#141: longboard for Rico

untaping board#141 at SWOP Surfboards

Dimensions: 9'0 x 21 3/4 x 2 5/8
[completed in August 2016]

The story: I got the shape Rico Leroy a couple of longboards (board#054) before including one shaped in Eric Arakawa's shaping room in Haleiwa (board#119).  Here is one more for my favorite waterman ! 

The shape: the idea was to reproduce the shape from his Haleiwa's board I made for him (and which is stored in Hawaii) so he can have one in France. I worked by memory on this shape, trying to reproduce it without any precise dimensions.

The artwork: Rico's heart is hawaiian and he wanted to honor his culture by adoption. The triangles on the deck are in memory of his friend and surf legend, "Buttons" (Montgomery Kaluhiokalani). The deck displays the hawaiian flag in greyscale. All of this took me countless hours of masking ! But totally worth the sweat ! 

(I shaped the board at SWOP Surfboards' workshop. The glass was done by Nicolas at Lacanau Surf Designs.)










with Nicolas (who glassed the board) and Rico

<3




No comments:

Post a Comment