(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Thursday, May 3, 2018

board#139: shortboard for Vatea

with glasser Nico and Rico Leroy (board before glassing in the front)

Dimensions: 5'4 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/8
[completed in August 2016]
Model Versatile

The story: Vatea ("Vatou") is the son of Elodie and Rico, some very close french friends. When we visited them in Hawaii, Vincent left his board there for Vatou (14 year old at the time) who was starting to surf seriously. The same year, when they learn I was visiting Swop Surfboards in France, they asked me to shape another  one of that Versatile model. I was very stoked to shape him his own board !

The shape: he asked for the same shape with few minor adjustments.

The artwork: created by Vatou himself, it features some hawaiian license plates with a triangle pattern that relates to the famous surfer Buttons, a friend of Rico and Elodie who recently passed away.
The glass was done at Lacanau Surf Design by Nicolas.



No comments:

Post a Comment