(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Monday, January 18, 2016

board#093: shortboard for David



Dimensions: 6'6 x 20 x 2 5/8
[completed in April 2015]

The story: The fact that Paul who owns 3 Mere-Made surfboards is David's co-worker and surf buddy might have contributed a lot to David's interest in getting a Mere-Made surfboard too (that is called word of mouth and this how I get 90% of my customers without trying to offend Mark Zuckerberg). Because David is a distant co-worker (same company but different skills and building), he used Outlook to schedule a "board meeting" with me. Those meetings I accept right away !


The shape: Like his surf buddy, David loves surfboards and he is very eager to explore new shapes.   For this one, he wanted a shortboard for the winter swells but a bit wider to keep some easiness to paddle into the muchy waves too. A polyvalent shortboard for the 4-6 foot wave range. 

The artwork: David sent me a very cool triangle pattern which was very close to be a fractal design. I said it would take me 245 hours to make this so we decided for a more simple pattern inspired from a previous board (see it here) which still took me 3h of labor.



David got his first Mere-Made delivered at work at the same time that Paul got his third.


Surf buddies - Mere-Made buddies !!!

This is how I made the artwork



No comments:

Post a Comment